Today we have been at the Warwick Castle (http://www.warwick-castle.co.uk/), in Warwick (:-)).
That place’s life begun in the year 914 as a fortress. William the Conqueror built the first castle at Warwick, in 1068. Over the years the castle was gradually rebuilt in stone, and by the late 14th century Thomas de Beauchamp had finished an extensive building programme that transformed the defences of the castle, adding the huge gatehouse and barbican and two massive towers that still dominate the castle today. Later as the military importance of the castle declined, the main living quarters were converted into a palatial residence.
The castle was home to the Earls of Warwick until 1978 when it was bought by the Tussaud's Group. The castle has since been extensively restored, and the expertise of the Tussaud's Studios has been used to create wax figures that help portray life in the castle during different periods of its history.
The castle is impressive and is dubbed as the best medieval experience in Britain. You can walk nearly all the towers and rooms and there are plenty of things to see. One interesting thing is the work they have done to reproduce scenarios of the life at different times with scenarios including Oliver Cromwell and Winston Churchill.
To enter you have to pay a hefty £12.95 per person, but I would say that it’s well worth it. We had a really great time and it was entertaining all the way round.
Warwick is 90.4 miles away from my home and we did it almost without traffic. In the way back home I was doing a whooper average of 43 miles per gallon of petrol, which is approximately 18 Km/l. Obviously, I was driving like a girl (:-P) as I had my wife with me, but it is very impressive anyway for a 2 litre engine. I think it is due to the new fuel I’m using, the BP Ultimate premium petrol. I was using Shell Optimax before, but as BP gives me Nectar points, I decided to change over. Probably the fuel economy is worth the price difference.
I will be posting pictures later on, so stay tuned. Cheers all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment