Sunday, May 13, 2007

Windows Live Messenger Mobile and my bloody contact list!

Well, I recently got hold of a T-Mobile Dash smartphone (fantastic device, I just love it to bits). The main reason why I got this device is because T-Mobile US has released a Windows Mobile 6 upgrade for it and it was a big plus for me.


After upgrading my device to the latest OS and configuring everything I noticed that if you want to use the Windows Live Messenger that comes bundled with it you MUST synchronize your Messenger contact list with your Outlook contacts. Well, I have about 130 contacts on my Messenger and having them all in my Outlook address book wasn’t great, but I didn’t have an option, did I?


I then used it for about a week and everything was fine.


This weekend I decided to reinstall my laptop. I then formatted my hard-drive, reinstalled Windows Vista and most of the software I used and deleted my old partnership on the phone to create a new one with the new OS. After the initial sync, I noticed that all the MSN contacts in my Outlook address book weren’t recognized as MSN contacts any more!!! And when I connected to MSN on my device, it deleted my whole contact list from the server!!! Imagine my despair watching all my 130+ contacts disappearing one by one in front of me???


Luckily I had the backup in my desktop Outlook, but I still had to re-type my contacts one by one in Messenger.


My question is? Why in hell did someone think it was a good idea to have my MSN contacts in my Outlook address book? They are all listed as contacts without any details and also risk messing up my Messenger for no reason!

No comments: