Sunday, January 30, 2005

Who said that English food was not good?

Hello there,

Here I am for the weekly instalment of “A Reichert in London” :-S… Sounds bad, don’t it?

Well, the week was normal. I’m now going to the Egham office of my company instead of the central London one, so I’m driving my 40 miles a day to go and come back.

I haven’t written it before, but my car was slightly damaged by someone while it was parked nearby my home. I believe that someone who was trying to park or do something and scratched my car.

The good thing about that is that as this is a company car, they have a cool insurance that will cover the repairs and I don’t have to care about it. I will leave the car tomorrow for repairs and will be driving a Golf GTI for one week, until I get my car back.

I really have to find a place where to trash this Golf, as I have never driven such a famous and symbolic car before and want really to know what the GTI is all about. I don’t expect it to be good as my Audi, though, as the 2.0 FSI 150bhp engine that I have is brilliant and the sports suspension is firm and precise enough.

After the week with the Golf GTI I will know if the Audi has got more than a badge… :-D

Yesterday night we had diner at home and I drunk a bottle of red Merlot wine and a bottle of Moscato, a sweet wine. My wife took a glass of the Merlot and a couple of the Moscato, so I thought that it was a shame to waste such good wines. After all that drinking and going to bed late, we woke up late today.

Then we decided to dedicate the rest of the day to our city. After a healthy breakfast we went to SOHO to take a walk. SOHO, for who’s not aware is the central point for entertainment in London. There you get everything you want and when I say everything you can bet that it will be everything you can imagine.

You can find entertainment ranging from small nice English pubs and cultural theatres up to the most bizarre forms of clubbing and erotic entertainment. A very nice place to see and walk through as you can see many interesting things.

We stopped by an English pub where I ordered a steak pie with onions and ale gravy, green beans and buttered smashed potatoes. It is a very British dish and you can bet that it is very, amazingly good. It accompanied by two pints of the best brewed ale and you’re in heaven. My wife ordered a cheese and onion filled jacket potato. Good also, but certainly much simpler.

After our big and tasty meal we walked to Chinatown. It is a very small part of the SOHO, completely Chinese. Very cool. We shall be there for the Chinese New Year in February 9th.

From there we went to the Covent Gardens to see the world famous market and all the street artists. They do some very cool stuff. They walk on ropes and do some tricks with tubes and stuff…

Then we realize how big, different and complex London is. It is a huge city which hosts people from all kinds, races, cultures, needs and tastes. If you’re posh, you can find your place to go. If you want to take a walk in ragged pants and discoloured t-shirts, then you can find your place as well. Really fun.

This week I have booked my holidays for the last week of February. We will be going to Italy for the period between the 21st and the 25th at least, with possibility of staying a few days more.
Well people, I’m going to bed now. I have to start working early tomorrow morning. Bye all. Have a great week!

No comments: